Prepared to Lead. Prepared to Serve.
President and Founder of the James Madison Group Inc. and have over 27 years of community, organizational, leadership, employee, and business development experience. In the public sector, I've worked with over 200 counties, cities, government associations, and state and federal agencies. I have also developed over 13,500 front-line and management personnel, as well as elected officials (commissioners, mayors, etc.) in 18 states.
PUblic Sector & Community Experience
Recognizing a need in government for more development services that address its unique challenges, I founded The James Madison Group in 2002. I named the company after James Madison because of his belief in Constitutional principles and for Madison’s example of collaborative leadership. In addition to my 15 years consulting county and city governments, I served four years on the North Salt Lake City Council as a Council Member and Mayor Pro Tem. As a community leader, I organized citizen volunteers by creating Uniting Neighbors of North Salt Lake. Because of my efforts in the community and developing youth leaders, I received the Silver Beaver Award of the Boy Scouts of America.
I facilitate strategic planning retreats with elected leaders and management teams to guide them in charting a new community vision and goals. I've also developed and facilitates a Public Leadership Academy, Public Customer Service Program, and a Public Productivity Program for managers and staff.
I also have vast private sector experience. In addition to my 15 years as a small businessman, I worked 15 years for Equis International, an investment analysis software company and division of Reuters, a Fortune 1000 Company. At Equis I built and managed very productive and profitable international and national sales management teams. Together we expanded our international markets to over 100 distributors in over 40 countries.
My educational roots are at Brigham Young University where I graduated with high distinction with a Masters degree in Public Administration and earned a BA in English Literature. I also earned Phi Kappa Phi honors and focused on business/government relations, public finance, organizational development, urban planning economics, and public policy.
I grew up in Idaho Falls, Idaho as the oldest of 12 children, doing my part to support the family with a paper route and other jobs. My favorite place to be was at my friend’s 88-acre farm, which I fondly call Walden’s Farm. My parents, Jim and Judy, instilled in me a love of America and Republican principles. I campaigned alongside my mother for a Republican Congressional candidate and attended local party rallies. I served a Spanish-speaking mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in San Antonio Texas.
My wife of 34 years, Michelle Cole Muir of Lander Wyoming, and I have four children (2 sons 2 daughters), as well as 7 grand-children (1 girl 6 boys).
I balance my life with music, dancing, and sports. Musically, I play the piano, tuba, trombone, and guitar and sing Barbershop and Doo-wap. Sporting activities include early morning basketball, snow-boarding, triathlons, marathons, yoga, and weight training. I especially enjoy ballroom dancing with my wife.
- Facilitated workshop for County Commissioners, Administrators, and other County Leaders at the 2018 National Association of Counties (NACO) Conference in Washington D.C. on managing a multi-generational workforce and 2017 (Ohio) Effective County Leadership.
- Spoke to County Commissioners, Administrators, and other County leaders at the 2017 (NACO) in Columbus Ohio on Leading, Engaging, and Keeping Your Millennial Workforce and Effective County Leadership.
- Coordinated process improvement travel approval prototype for the UT Dept. of Health demonstrating projected savings of $40,000 annually in air fare costs, decreased turnaround time by 14 days, and saved labor costs.
- Negotiated & wrote 320+ business contracts, including with US Dept. of Energy, City of Sunnyvale CA, and El Paso County TX.
- Trained 1000+ employees on harassment, discrimination, and bullying and compliance with federal employment laws.
- Guided UT Dept. of Health Program Managers and local health departments on process improvement projects, resulting in significant costs savings, improved turnaround time, cost efficiencies, and increased stakeholder value.
- Developed a Public Leadership Academy for county and city government and presented to over 6,000 local government leaders across the country.
- Taught over 100 City Managers at the Utah City Management Association 2017 Conference on how to conduct successful leadership retreats.
- Developed 13,500+ county and city employees, managers, and leaders with 450 onsite client engagements over 15 years.
Awards & Community Service:
- Utah Information Technologies Association Million Dollar Sales Award
- Silver Beaver, Wood Badge Bead, and Eagle Scout awards for Boy Scouts of America
- Graduate of Davis County Citizens Academy
- Presented to both the North and South Davis County Chamber of Commerce groups on Digital Marketing Strategies Presented to Entrepreneur Launch Pad (ELP) of Davis County on effective business development.
- Served a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in San Antonio Texas (Spanish)
- Published article on Community and Economic Development in the National Association of Counties County News, entitled: If You Build It, Will They Come?
- Published article on Public Sector Productivity in the Texas Municipal League Magazine
- Published strategic plans and executive reports for dozens of counties and cities in Utah and the U.S.
- Publish Leading Local Government, a newsletter on improving leadership, productivity, and customer service for counties and cities
What I’ve done for Davis County
- Facilitated two Leadership Symposium’s for Davis County Elected Leaders, including Commissioners, Sheriff, County Attorney, and other Department Heads
- Consulted Davis County Health Department on leadership and communication styles best practices
- Conducted economic development retreat for South Weber City Mayor, City Council, City Manager, and management team and guided them with their economic development principles and plan
- Conducted strategic planning retreat for Woods Cross City Mayor, Council, City Manager, Planning Commission, and Executive Team and provided executive report and recommendations to guide them in planning their future growth and prepare them for priority-based budgeting
- Trained the following cities and their employees on customer service best principles and practices
- West Bountiful
- West Point
- Woods Cross
- Trained the following cities and employees on strategic planning and municipal goal-setting
- West Bountiful
- Trained Bountiful City employees on public sector career development
While Serving on the North Salt Lake City Council and as Mayor Pro Tem:
- I supported Legacy Highway.
- I voted for the South Davis Metro Fire District.
- I voted for the South Davis Recreational District.
- I voted for and guided the development of and spoke at the opening ceremony of the Foxboro Mixed-Use Community.
- I established and trained the leaders of Uniting Neighbors, a community volunteer organization that continues to focus on neighborhood watch, emergency preparedness, and community beautification.
- I served as Redevelopment Agency Chair for a blighted area of the community, conducting meetings and public hearings.
- I did not raise sales taxes as North Salk Lake City Council member.
- I did not raise property taxes as North Salk Lake City Council member.