Together, we can help Davis County plan smarter and climb higher.
Davis County is a wonderful place. But we haven’t even begun to reach our potential. We’re competing with Salt Lake, Weber, and Utah Counties in economic development and we’re losing. Things don't have to be this way. Together, we can make sure that our county stays among the best places in the world to live, recreate, start a business, and raise a family.
Let’s work together to benefit from the state’s image as the Silicon Slopes and a place for entrepreneurial innovation and global business growth.
My name is Brian Muir. I have a plan for Davis County. Join with me to climb higher!
Davis County Needs a Commissioner that Brings
PROFESSIONAL & TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
Given our challenges with growth and with the County organization, it’s time for a collaborative leader who can help us adapt to change and resolve conflicts.
- We need to balance economic development with preserving our main streets, historical districts, open spaces, and neighborhoods. We are known as a bedroom community that relies heavily on Salt Lake County and Weber County jobs. We need to change that image.
- I will collaborate with Davis County cities, Davis Applied Technology College, Davis Chamber of Commerce, Davis County School District, and other community stakeholders to create a new Davis-County-Wide Strategic Vision and Plan.
- We need to unite our efforts in creating a more self-reliant county that reduces pollution and crime, prepares for emergencies, and attracts and retains businesses that provide higher-paying jobs. We need more jobs that support strong families and safer neighborhoods. We can’t afford to invest so much in education, only to see our youth become our biggest export!
- Brian plans to unify all county departments to follow best practices in strategic planning, management, customer service, productivity, ethics, and conflict resolution.
Brian has a unique mix of government and business acumen. Just a sampling of my results:
- For the last 15 years, he has been President of The James Madison Group Inc., a Davis County consulting firm with over 200 counties and cities across the country and have trained over 6000 elected leaders, including commissioners and mayors.
- Trained the Cities of Philadelphia, U.S. Department of Energy, Utah Department of Health, Sunnyvale CA, Peekskill NY, Summit County Utah, and more on customer service, leadership, and productivity best practices.
- Created strategic and economic development plans and executive reports for over 50 cities and counties; including El Paso County Texas, Las Cruces New Mexico, Park City, Heber City, Anna Texas and more.
- For EQUIS/Reuters, a financial analysis software company, I developed and managed an international business team of account managers, taking our sales in 40 countries from 1 million to 3.6 million.
Professional & Technical Expertise:
The County Commissioner is a full-time paid position that requires a professional who has technical skills in a variety of areas. Here are just a few of Brian’s related skills and experiences:
- Develop elected county and city officials all across the United States in leadership, ethics, productivity and conflict resolution.
- Expert on public sector strategic planning and economic development.
- Presented at the National Association of Counties (NACO) in 2017 in Columbus Ohio on Effective County Leadership and Leading, Engaging, and Keeping our Millennial Workforce.
- Trained County Commissioners from across the country at the 2018 NACO Legislative Conference in Washington D.C. on Managing a Multi-Generational Workforce.
- Published article in NACO’s County News on Community and Economic Development.
- Earned a Masters of Public Administration from the Brigham Young University Marriot School of Management (The Romney Institute), graduating with high distinction, phi kappa phi
Masters of Public Administration, BYU, graduated high distinction, Phi Kappa Phi
15 years as a county and city leadership development consultant
Strategic planning and economic development consultant for over 50 communities
Trainer of 6000+ leaders: county commissioners, mayors, city council, administrators, directors on ethics, leadership, and resolving conflict
Trained every county department: Sheriff, Attorney, Auditor, Clerk, Treasurer, Recorder, Assessor, Economic Development, Health and Human Resources
North Salt Lake City Council, Mayor Pro Tem
Redevelopment Agency Chair, North Salt Lake City
Trainer at National Association of Counties: Washington D.C. (2018) Ohio (2017)
U.S. Department of Energy—Leadership Training
Utah Department of Health—Process Improvement Consultant
- President and Owner of The James Madison Group - 15 Years
- Manager of International Business Development Team Equis/Reuters - 10 Years
- Published article on Community and Economic Development in the National Association of Counties (NACO) County News
- Utah Information Technologies Association Million Dollar Sales Award
- Member and Presenter at Davis County Chamber of Commerce
- Silver Beaver Award for the Boy Scouts of America
- Established Uniting Neighbors of North Salt Lake
- Graduated Davis County Citizens Academy
- Community Emergency Response Team (CERT)
- Precinct Chair and State and County Delegate